Sunday 7 March 2010

Tricks of the Trade

LLC is now 5.5 weeks old.  Every day brings new learning and surprises but overall, the days are starting to feel a little easier.  Chris and I have explored a number of tried and tested but new to us "baby taming tactics" and they have worked wonders; proof that it's the little things that can make a big difference! 
  •  White Noise = Sleepy Time: I heard white noise calms babies and seriously, it does!  When LLC is overtired but won't settle our kitchen extractor fan is one of the few lullabies that will bring on shuteye within a matter of minutes
  • Stroller Walks = Mega Sleepy Time: The kitchen extractor fan will only calm LLC for so long; a walk around my neighborhood guarantees her fresh air and a long nap and me some exercise and the chance to explore the local roads I never knew existed. You notice so much more on foot.
  • Back Pat Heartbeat, Bouncing, Winter Suit & Jazz Hands = Goodbye Grizzles (hopefully):  When all the fuss of the fair comes to town, I pull one of these out of the bag in hopes of settling LLC.  Mimicking a "beat beat" heart beat on her back while lightly bouncing her often works a treat.  The midwives may not approve of zipping LLC into her winter outdoor suit indoors, but it instantly calms her and puts a stop to flailing arms and legs.  Jazz hands are our latest discovery thanks to J&L - something about shaking hands seems to quickly fascinate/distract/calm LLC
  • LLC Bedtime at 7:30pm = Much Needed Adult Time: After about 4 weeks we started putting LLC to bed earlier and it's been working well.  She's tired and settles down to sleep and Chris and I get some alone time to relax and unwind
  • Night Feeds Laying Down = Better Rest for Me: Totally worth it if you can find a position that works for you and your baby - she gets to eat without getting too stimulated and I get to half sleep - almost as good as actual sleep.  I'll take what I can get!
I know different strokes work for different folks, but if you have any other baby taming gems to share please do!
blog comments powered by Disqus