Friday 31 July 2009

'Baby Gaga' for me

I had to laugh this morning while I slogged it out on the stationary gym bike watching Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi' music video and Ciara "driving her body" around Justin Timberlake in 'Love Sex Magic.' I was out of bed before work, faithfully trying to do my expanding body good and ironically seeking motivation through the music and gyrations of these two lithe and ostentatious superstars.

I don't have illusions, delusions, aspirations, whatever about trying to look like the toned and primped celebs of today, but I've always secretly wanted to star in a music video. How cool would that be? It wouldn't be saucy and I'd be fully clothed, but it would tell a good story and feature me dolled up for the camera. Maybe I'd even dance in it....

How could my bump and I ever compare to the glamorous musicians before me? You know what - I can honestly say I didn't give a damn! There's so much pressure put on women to "look the part." While I'm never too concerned with this and think I have my own style, pedaling away I felt fit and blossoming.

They say some women feel unattractive as their pregnancy progresses and others feel extra sexy; I wouldn't say that I fall cleanly into either category and I still have a long journey ahead, but I'd have to say I'm leaning toward the latter. Pregnant ladies may be growing out, but we're growing babies and that is a beautiful thing. I plan to stay healthy and active for general fitness, but I hope my transformation makes me all the more attractive. I mean who really wants to parade in a leopard catsuit or look like a half naked droid on crutches anyway? Maybe I can star in some classy video featuring a pregnant girl :)

I'm 17 weeks today and I my little bump is on the rise. It's satisfying. Apparently the baby is now the size of a turnip - 5 ounces. I had my second midwife appointment this afternoon and she said baby's growth looks on track. I heard his/her heartbeat (150 beats/minute) and was sent on my merry way.

I'm a little conflicted about the community midwifery approach here in the UK. On one hand, people have been giving birth since the start of time before organised care and continue to do so in many places around the globe. On the other, I do like idea of the American personalized experience of choosing an obstetrician that cares for you over the course of your pregnancy. There is no choice on the NHS, but there is also no cost. I guess as long as I do my research and know what I want, it's my responsibility to communicate my questions/wants/needs to the midwives I see so that my maternity notes tell my story. And then hope when I do give birth that the midwife on duty actually pays attention to them! Though that's also why it's important to have a supportive, firm and knowledgeable birth partner - I'll have that in Chris (no pressure).

My 17 week picture will soon follow!
blog comments powered by Disqus