Friday 18 September 2009

Swine Flu Update

I'm preparing for a trip back to the USA - our dear friends K&S are getting hitched and I will have the chance to show off my bump to family and friends. At odds with the joys of pregnancy travel is the looming threat of both seasonal and swine flu as we move into the "flu season."

Last night my dad and I were discussing what precautions I should consider before flying, and only this morning the papers report a marked rise in the number of swine flu cases that emerged last week, largely thought to coincide with the start of the new school year.

In the immediate, the NHS responds to these reports but has not changed its advice to pregnant women. Swine flu vaccines are due to become available to high risk groups, including pregnant women, in October, though no firm date is set and my doctor's surgery confirms they don't have an eta for the vaccines. For my part, I need to see the doctor for a flight authorization note (since my airline requires one for women 28 weeks pregnant plus) so I plan to discuss any other precautions I should take at that time.
blog comments powered by Disqus