Thursday 24 September 2009

Relax, Recharge, Reenergize


Big congratulations to J & pregnant B, who is not pregnant anymore after giving birth to a lovely little girl last Saturday! B sounds upbeat and well up for the “mom learning curve” – very inspiring to see a fellow pregnant friend with similar questions and inexperience in the parenting department to me blossom into a mom overnight!

About 5 weeks ago I started taking a yoga class for pregnant women once a week. The class came highly recommended on my area National Childbirth Trust (NCT) online message board, and it seemed like a great opportunity to get tips on breathing, stretching and positions for labor.

I’ve been doing Pilates for a few years now and I do my usual squats at the gym but neither of these activities seemed as comforting as getting jiggy on yoga mats with fellow big bellied mamas-to-be. I could learn how to rotate my hips while in an expert and well aligned half bend squat without attracting the sniggers of the college boys on the gym ab machines. With participation restricted to women 15 weeks prego plus this was an opportunity to abandon self consciousness and meet other pregnant girls in my area.

The class has exceeded my expectations. Our teacher is instructive and firm but calming, nothing like the overly spiritual teachers I experienced in prior dabbles with yoga. Through the class we do a mix of relaxation and breathing techniques, stretches and poses designed to encourage our babies into healthy fetal positions and more intensive labor preparation exercises. After a long day in the London rush, this class has helped me learn how to relax, recharge and reenergize. I always leave feeling better than when I arrived, and baby girl must enjoy it too since I always get a barrage of kicks and punches at the start of each class. If you’re pregnant and interested in giving yoga a go, I’d definitely encourage it!

Speaking of relaxing, when I got back from class the other night Rico decided it was time for his own form of relaxation. He jumped into our bugaboo and enjoyed being rocked into a trance-like state in our carry cot. Doesn’t he look chilled out?

In the news, this Indonesian mother is due a major re-charge after giving birth to a 19.2lb baby boy. Imagine carrying that bundle of joy…(and probably backache)!

A broader note on reenergizing, I’m interested in checking out our local NCT Nearly New Sale in order to breathe fresh life into second hand baby and children’s clothes and equipment. I’ve ranted previously about the overwhelming choice and price of the baby retail marketplace and these sales, which you don’t need to be an NCT member to shop at, offer a green way to pick up a range of baby goodies at bargain prices. I’ll be taking a look.
blog comments powered by Disqus