Monday 10 August 2009

Fluttery Sunday

Yesterday was one of those idyllic Sunday afternoons that I didn't want to end. Chris and I met our friends L&J at L's parent's house outside London. We sat outside on their back patio basking in sunshine/umbrella induced shade, played bocce ball on the soft, green, warm underfoot lawn and enjoyed a yummy picnic lunch. The conversation, as always with G&T (L's mom and dad), was interesting, amusing, excellent. I felt very relaxed, a welcome contrast to our usual hustle bustle.

The conversation turned to quickening at some point, and T asked if I'd felt the baby move. Just as I'd heard, T described her first experience with baby movement as the "fluttering of butterfly wings." Subtle but solid baby kicks, flips and twirls.

I said I wasn't sure if I'd felt anything. Over the last week I have experienced a slight pattering or tweaking sensation, but I don't know if this is my baby, my stomach or my over active imagination since I don't really know what I'm looking for. I don't feel like a butterfly is loose in my belly - more like the odd little "sensation" from time to time.

I've stopped trying to coax my little one into movement in the bathroom stalls at work, but last night thought I'd try a new approach. I've heard babies are sensitive to light, so as we went to bed I shined my cell phone light at my stomach and waited for a response. Does anyone else try weird things like this? Again, I don't know. But I did feel like I felt the faintest little pitter patter when I did it. I'm just waiting for a big ol' kick so I know that it's the real thing and not just me wishing it.
blog comments powered by Disqus