Sunday 6 April 2008

I'm NOT dreaming of a white marathon...

Glistening & pristine, snowy mornings where the trees, rooftops and my laundry line are decked in tiny crystals of splendor usually bring a smile to my face. It may mean Southeastern Trains will be running two hours late and I know that the untouched white blanket before me is likely to quickly morph into brown slush. But on the rare occasion that I encounter this scene, I focus on the immediate beauty of it all, especially if it's the weekend where I can go out and enjoy it.

Today when I opened my curtains and took in the growing white crust on all in sight, I had a different reaction. How was I going to run in this?! Does my life now revolve around this marathon? It's now one week before race day and for the moment I think that it does. I had planned to complete my last distance run of 10 miles, dressed in race kit and prepped by a full warm up to get me in the groove for next weekend. Quickly sticking snow was not part of that equation!

I bundled up in gloves and warm running clothes (not my race kit) and decided to forge on regardless, mad woman that I've become! When I ran my 20 mile I faced some light snowfall, but this was a different ball game. A cold wind whipped the snow into my face and eyes, hindering visibility and soaking into my clothes. After only a mile, I started thinking about turning back. I was annoyed and conflicted by an urge to just push it versus worry about catching a cold or slipping over if it became more icy. But I was a machine, and this was my last chance to get in a decent weekend training run.

At that moment a familiar silver Audi began honking as it approached me on the opposite side of the road. It was our car, and there was Chris, winding down the window and motioning for me to get in. I scurried across the road and jumped in the passenger seat.

"It's nasty out there," I said.

"Yes, that's why I was driving around in search of you," he countered. "It's getting cold, and probably icy, and there is no way you should be running in that. You don't even have a hat on." I didn't. Oops. Thank you Chris!

So we drove to the gym and I ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill, without my ear phones and access to the TVs. I'm spoiled that all gyms offer that feature, and really can't stand just running in place on a machine for any length of time. But I ran on, in prep for this marathon. And I was warm, instead of wet and freezing. So all in all, it worked out for the best.

Who would have thought last Friday was a beautiful, warm, Spring-like day? It's supposed to be cold here on Monday and Tuesday before warming up later in the week. I hope it does, because a snowy marathon really doesn't appeal. I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed for cool, bright conditions.
blog comments powered by Disqus