Thursday 10 March 2011

Sick Note

It's been a tiring couple of weeks in our house thanks to a merciless cold making the rounds and bout of conjunctivitis.  LLC came down with a chesty cough and cold early last week.  Even though she was bunged up and hacking she managed to remain in fairly good spirits so it didn't appear anything too sinister.  I didn't think much of the eye gunk in the corner of her eye (probably just leftover from sleep) until she had a nap and woke up with her eyelashes caked in a sticky yellow discharge. 

A trip to the doctor soon confirmed conjunctivitis, meaning she had to avoid contact with other children for the week.  We had to regularly clear the gunk from her eyes, which she tolerated, but her patience wore thin when it came to letting us squirt a centimeter of gel from a small useless tube into the base of her eye several times a day.  This struggle nearly reduced me to tears a couple of times while on my own, until we discovered if given a bottle of milk during the proceedings she would remain still and docile. 

Being confined to the house could have spelled quality time for LLC and me.  No running around.  No distractions.  But then I caught her cold, which spread to my sinuses, which I've never had before but can confirm made me feel like I'd been punched in the face, in the eye, in the mouth.  Breath taken through my nose hit a brick wall.   I had a constant headache, which is still lingering.  All I wanted to do was sleep, but that is not an option with an ill but high energy little lady ready willing and able to play.

This is the first time I've been sick with LLC and I realized how hard it is to look after kids when you feel beat yourself.  I tried to play but couldn't really concentrate.  I tried to rest when she was sleeping but the cold seemed to make her nap less.  I tried to lay on the couch next to her but she kept climbing on me, throwing things in my direction or wanting my water / tissues /etc!  Does anyone have any tips for coping with a sick but high energy little one while you are sick yourself?  I need them!

Fortunately LLC's conjunctivitis is now cleared and her cold is nearly gone.  And I'm getting there, but I still feel tired.  Why am I blogging at 11pm you ask?  I was in bed earlier in the evening and I now have a second wind.  I'm all out of sync!  I need to sort myself out....
  
blog comments powered by Disqus