Tuesday 6 October 2009

It's PummelTime!


In the late 1980s we had HammerTime and now at 26.5 weeks pregnant, I have PummelTime, which is pretty much like being hammered from within by baby arms and feet.

What to Expect When You're Expecting informs me that fetal movement peaks between 24-28 weeks when the baby is still small enough for acrobatics and kickboxing but big enough to really pack some punch!  This advice is proving true in my case; over the last week I've felt more fetal movement than probably all the previous weeks of my pregnancy put together.

This week baby is the size of and English ""hothouse" cucumber....I didn't know a cuke could be described as such but our little lady is certainly her own little hothouse of activity.  I love feeling her squirm and knowing that she's well and kicking in there, though at times the movement can be slightly uncomfortable if she's in a particular position.

This morning I got a strange, consistent pressurized feeling on the front of my bump....it lasted for about 20 minutes and wasn't really painful but more of a long, dull ache so it couldn't have been a Braxton Hicks contraction (sporadic uterine contractions that are inconsistent in nature and normal as pregnancy progresses).  It slightly worried me at first - my over active imagination questioned whether she was caught up in the umbilical cord and pressing on me as a result - but then the ache faded, as did my concern when I could feel her squirming around again.

Since this is my first time pregnant, I'm definitely sensitive to each new twist and turn, though Chris reminds me it's important to monitor what feels out of the ordinary but not freak myself out.  Maybe what I felt was just ligament stretching.....maybe she was using my front as a footrest....?  If anyone can shed any light on this, please do!
blog comments powered by Disqus