Tuesday 2 December 2008

Remembering the Little Things...

Yup, I fell right off that blogging bandwagon again! I'm clawing my way back on....

During my recent trip home (home #1: New York, as opposed to home #2: London) for Thanksigiving I couldn't help noting the parallels of this historic day of thanks and my own life situation. Let me explain...

One of the first recognized Thanksgiving celebrations occurred in 1621, when English colonists in Plymouth shared an autumn harvest feast with the Wampanoag Indians. Alongside solidifying the long term Native American tradition of celebrating the harvest in American history books, this meal has since become a symbol of cooperation between the English colonists and Native Americans.

How ironic, that there I sat, now a UK resident, home for my first Thanksgiving in New York since moving to England six years ago. Across the table, sat Chris, my own symbol of transatlantic cooperation, proof that this vibrant and strong bond has survived the complications of history and is again at large almost 400 years later. In that moment I felt thankful for how far we've come since the days of New England colonialism....thankful for planes and travel, email and skype, all of which have enabled me to forge a life abroad with easy access to my family and friends still in the United States. These necesseties of the 21st century are a new form of sustenance, often taken for granted. At the table in our room off the kitchen, surrounded by family and feast, I shut my eyes and gave a wholehearted shout out of thanks for them.

With a great deal to be thankful for, I shouldn't really have been complaining, but I found myself sitting in the Union Square Starbucks with my dear friend Nathalie, and lamenting my unfulfilled promise as a writer. Nat is always a great sounding board, and besides, she works in publishing, so maybe she'll take pity on me and hook me up with a sweet publishing deal! The problem? I haven't written anything to start with and my sweet publishing scenario is totally unrealistic. But Nat helped me resurface from the mire of my woes, and brought me back to some the little things I can do to get back on track writing....take a writing class or join an aspiring writer group, nurture my ability to rhyme, make time for something I truly enjoy, revisit my blog....

So little blog, here I am. This is another start, but hopefully one of a long, interesting journey.
blog comments powered by Disqus